Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The World Didn't End...

Well, Election Day is over. Thank goodness! I'm not sure I can take any more mud-slinging, empty promises and yard signs. By the way, aren't you glad the folks in Florida finally mastered how to vote on their first try? My sincere appreciation goes out to the Sunshine State for saving us from another "hanging-chad" fiasco. In case you've been living under a rock, Barack Hussein Obama soundly defeated John McCain and was elected as the 44th President of our great Nation. It's amazing, the world did not stop rotating on its axis. The sun still rose this morning and the birds were still singing as if nothing significant happened. Put simply, the world did not come to an end. Why is that? I think it's because there are things in this world far more important than electoral votes, political parties and election results. My pastor Billy Edwards has some great thoughts. Read below...

Regardless of where one stands politically, today is a new day in America. Better or worse? Prosperity or Recession? Safer or more susceptible to attack? Willing to face terrorism head on or cowardly acquiescing? More abortions or the same sickening number? Marriage = one man and one woman or anything goes? The fringes of society marginalized or included? Honestly, despite what one may think or imagine, only time will tell.

One thing, however, has already been decided: God is on His throne, Jesus is Lord of all, and the church is the one hope for the world. Those things are true no matter who is president! I've told you this before...I've lived through 6 Republican presidents and 4 Democratic presidents. And honestly, not much changes. Neither can give us salvation. Neither can give us deliverance. Neither can give us hope that matters. Neither can make iron-clad promises. Salvation and deliverance and hope and promises come through Bethlehem, not Washington!

I am a citizen of the United States (proudly), but I'm not at home here. My home is in the Kingdom of God, which is both here and in the future; which supercedes nations and borders and political causes. The older I get, the more I feel like an alien, for I long more and more to be home. I don't plan on going home anytime soon, so I am yielding more and more of my life to God today. I gave my life to the Kingdom of God years ago; I re-up that commitment right now. Join me.

Until next time......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The world may have not ended, but many of our freedoms may have ended when the bell rang in favor of Barack Hussein Obama. Only time will tell.

slothsrcool said...

I don't have a problem with the world ending--I've read the end of the book and things turn out okay for us who belong to Jesus. Its what might happen over the next four years if the world does NOT end that bugs me.